The Mountain Stream
So named because a mountain stream often switches channels while still flowing down the hillside, the Spread of the Mountain Stream is used to assess where a situation is going and what changes should be made or avoided to favor the best outcome. The single timeline branches into three lines, each of which can show a different message and a different possible future.
- The distant past, the foundation of the matter and also the reasons why it is so important now.
- The recent past, and any recent events which have served to set events in motions
- The state of the situation at the time of the reading
- Can reflect the present state or show what kind of changes are currently taking place.
- The short-term future of the situation, if nothing changes.
- The long-term future of the situation, if nothing changes
- A possibility for change, another option that can be taken.
- The long-term future of the situation, if the change that is described by #7 is made.
- A second possibility for change
- The long-term future of the situation, if the change that is described by #9 is made.
A variation of this spread involves removing cards 1, 6, 8, and 10 for a shorter and more localized spread. This is useful when you’re more concerned with short-term than long-term effects.